From Canon 31:
The purposes of the Deanery Council shall be as follows:
(a) to strengthen the Church community within the Regional Deanery and to assist the Bishop, the Diocesan Council and the Synod in their responsibilities;
(b) to maintain an effective communication link between parishes/congregations and Synod and between Synod and parishes/congregations;
(c) to educate lay representatives, their substitutes and clerics in synodical procedures and responsibilities;
(d) to encourage its parishes/congregations to develop and maintain frequent inter-parish/congregation communication and to work as partners-in-mission with the other parishes/congregation in the Regional Deanery.
About Deanery Funding:
Deanery Council obtains its funds from annual dues from our congregations. (Dues are determined using a formula based on a congregations’ diocesan apportionment).
These funds are used in the following ways:
- To pay for stationary, postage, and office supplies
- To mark clergy transitions:
Small gifts are given at retirement, moving out of our deanery, and donations made at time of death.
- To encourage youth involvement at Synod:
Payment for transportation and registration for Youth Synod
- To cover expenses at deanery services (such as confirmation, the collection from which goes completely to deanery youth events).
- To cover dues to other organizations, such as the Anglican Foundation
- To support our two historic partnerships of Renison and Monica Place, through the purchase of annual appeal envelopes, and the Monica Place Gala.
- To assist the Deanery’s Mandate (from Canon 31) “to strengthen the Church community within the Regional Deanery”. In the past we have offered events to strengthen the church community within the deanery, such as “Magnetic Church” and “the Five Practices of Fruitful Congregations”. Deanery sponsored events like these have not been held in the last few years (with the exception of Bishop Terry’s Bible Study, which was at no cost to us). We are now seeking to again make use of funds by regularly offering events that strengthen the Church community. Suggestions for deanery sponsored events may be made to the Deanery Executive, prior to a commitment being made to hold the event or initiative.
- To assist the Deanery’s Mandate (from Canon 31) “to work as partners-in-mission with the other parishes/congregations in the Regional Deanery”. In the past we have offered seed money to new initiatives that help us, as deanery churches, to collectively work together as partners-in-mission. Suggestions for deanery sponsored initiatives may be made to the Deanery Executive, prior to a commitment being made to hold the event or initiative.
Please note: Deanery funds are not used to pay mileage for members of the deanery as they engage in the work of the deanery. This cost is borne by the parish to which the deanery member belongs.